Zach
and I found out that we both were planning to go to CIES on Tuesday during
lunch to meet our conversation partners. We met with Zach’s conversation
partner first while waiting for Yasuko to arrive. We sat inside a classroom to talk because of
this I had to get up and check the lounge if Yasuko has arrived yet. While just talking to Rashed, we found out
that after this CIES session he will be going back to Kuwait. He is going to be study English more while
Kuwait and figuring out where he wants to go to college. He asked us about colleges and differences
between UF and FSU. We explained that UF is better for students is in math,
science, or engineering majors compared to FSU that is more well known for
being a liberal arts college which has top rating film and music programs. Shortly after this I went to check if Yasuko
arrived yet and found out that she was there. I explained to her the situation
and that we could have group conversation, and she agreed. We actually found out that Rashed and Yasuko
are in the same speaking class. This was
great to find out! Our group conservation moved towards talking about fast food
restaurants and how they change across the world to accommodate the various
cultures. Rashed said in Kuwait, they do not sell pork products. Also, he said
that fast food in America taste better than in Kuwait but he was not sure why.
However, he commented that KFC tasted very bad.
Yasuko chimed in by saying in Japan that KFC is important restaurant and
that it is what Japanese people usually get for Christmas dinner. I think this shows how globalization can
truly impact other cultures and become integrated into holiday traditions. She explained a story about how in 1985, a
bunch of baseball fan threw a statue of Colonel Sanders into a river and they
did not find the statue until 2009.
According to the internet that story is related to the “Curse of the
Colonel”. Also, Rashed asked us to
explain the school mascot, Osceola because there was “GO Seminoles!” on the
wall. We found it a little difficult to
explain the background of the mascot because there is controversy around the
choice of the mascot for some people. We
explained about the “Tomahawk Chop” and explained what a tomahawk was through
drawing. In addition, I explained about
each college does stuff like this and how UF has the gator as the mascot and
how they do the chomp at the football game. Overall, I enjoyed the group
experience and hearing everyone’s diverse opinion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Colonel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Colonel
In Panama, Popeyes, Taco Bell, and Papa John's are CLASSY fast food restaurants!
ReplyDeleteI went to Popeyes last week for the very first time (in the US), the one on Tennessee. I was very, very excited to have some of that spicy chicken and cajun mashed potatoes my brother and I used to have back home on Sundays as a treat. I was so heartbroken when they gave me the overly greasy, not crispy chicken and the watery gravy for the mashed potatoes.
I will never go there again! Ever! :(
Instead, I have limited my fast food choices to Wendy's and California Chicken.