Saturday, February 9, 2013

TP #7 - PAINTER


Serdal and I met for his tutorial session at the library today.  We worked on TOEFL preparation.   We located the TOEFL site on the library database so he can take free practice tests for TOEFL.  He will take the writing TOEFL test before out next meeting so we can get a better idea of his writing level.  He will work through the other tests for reading, listening and speaking over the next few weeks.  At first, he just wanted me to help him with his writing skills but it appears that he will also need help in developing reading, speaking and listening skills.  He also wants to improve his vocabulary.  His goal is to successfully complete the TOEFL exam before he returns to Turkey in June.  I asked him to check with his university in Turkey to see what score he will need on his TOEFL exam for his Ph.D. program in Turkey so we have a clear goal. 

I asked him how paragraphs and essays were structured in Turkish.  I did not get a very clear answer.  I reviewed basic structure of the paragraph and the 5-paragraph essay.  We reviewed the various types of essays that he would be required to write for the TOEFL exam.  I asked him to write on a topic that we found in a TOEFL practice website:  Only people who earn a lot of money are successful.   He needed to either agree or disagree with the statement and use specific reasons and examples to support his answer.  We will work through the different types of writing topics used in the TOEFL exam.

Since I have two tutees who want help in preparing for the TOEFL exam.  I will need to spend more time understanding how the exam is structured and the best way to prepare for the reading, writing, listening and speaking sections of the exam.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.