I met again with Hae-Young and her 5-year old daughter, Aileen, last week at Black Dog.
We began with writing, since the last time we mainly focused on reading. She had one of those pads with the huge lines to practice correctly forming letters; two solid lines and one dotted line in the middle. I would write a basic sentence, (like, "My pencil is blue," and "I am sitting at Lake Ella,") have her read it aloud, then I would have her rewrite it on the line below. This went relatively smoothly, as it didn't require much of her own production. While she was writing, she started singing this song about the days of the week. It was so cute! She kept singing it over and over and I eventually got my phone out and recorded her singing, like a true creep. I thought about uploading it and posting it on this blog, but that would probably just incriminate me even further.
After filling up two pages with sentences, we began reading the next picture book in her series. Every once in a while, she would get hung up on a word and say that she could not read it, but I would encourage her that she could if she just sounded it out! Worked like a charm. However, we did not get too much further than the fourth page before an hour was up and her mom came back outside to collect her to leave.
Ahahaha how adorable! Although I really don't want to work with kids, things like this remind me that yes, sometimes they can be cute.
ReplyDeleteI remember those sheets of paper with the huge dotted lines! Nostalgia, haha.
Keep encouraging her and having fun and you two will do great. :)