I met with Minseo for our first one-on-one session together
on 1/21/13 at Tom Brown Park. At first
we talked about how she was and exchanged general pleasantries, but then we got
into a real discussion about personal life affairs. She has an older brother that is trying to
get her parents to pay for him to go to an art school, except they aren’t very enthusiastic
about it because he’s gone to a few other schools and dropped out of all of
them. She said this with a lot of eye
rolling, which I am sure is her mocking her brother’s work ethic and also
condoning her parents attitude toward it.
I explained to her that my parents are the same way. I come from a family that places a lot of
value on getting stuff done, which is why I have my BEAUTIFUL Volvo (she
laughed here) since my senior year of high school and am able to go to school at FSU.
I knew that Asians tend to get the unfair stereotype of being obsessed
with working, but when I actually compared what she was saying with my life I
realized that we actually have a lot of similarities between the both of us, especially when it came to recognizing how our families view and treat a little effort and some work. While there were other things we talked about
that I am pretty uncomfortable disclosing, it was an interesting conversation
because I learned a lot about the unspoken rules of Korean culture, like
getting a divorce. Minseo was telling me
that getting a divorce isn’t illegal, but it is incredibly difficult to get
remarried in Korea once being divorced as it still has a negative taboo
attached onto the act and the person. I told her that I
was raised Catholic and some of the same rules apply to those kinds of
families as they do to Korean families, so I understood some of her
hesitations with divorced groups. I
tried to give her some “you go, girl” tips because I became hyper aware of how
often she gets to talk to people about personal problems (especially since she
told me that her Korean family and friends might not understand the things that
she has done) and I wanted to encourage her to feel like she could talk to me
because that’s what I really want! We
sat at Tom Brown for about an hour and then drove over to Atomic Coffee where
we sat for about another hour. I asked
her if Korea had more tea shops than coffee shops and she said that they had
coffee shops, but there could be about five or seven on the same street instead
of how spread out they are in Tallahassee.
She was also very interested in the TEFL class and told me that she was
looking into maybe taking it so that she could teach kids English (maybe in
Korea, but she also said that she really wouldn’t mind travelling), which I thought
was so wonderful. I showed her my TEFL
book, which she was really excited to go through. She asked me how I liked the class I told her
I thought that it was interesting because it even affects the way I think about
how I learn, but more importantly, it teaches me to be sensitive to all the different modes of education out
there. Minseo is easily able to
communicate her thoughts and when she does get caught up on one word, she is
pretty good at coming up with a synonym that fits just fine. I love talking to her because we get caught
up in conversation so easily, but I am pretty sure that is because we have
somewhat similar personalities, which is an amazing thing to realize in another
human being.
Awwww, it sounds like you and her are a very good fit! I'm glad that she has someone she can talk to, and it's nice that she feels comfortable enough with you to talk about her actual problems/feelings instead of just general pleasantries and cultural differences. Enjoy your time with her! :)
ReplyDelete