Thursday, January 31, 2013

TS #3


This time around, I got time management under my belt, but I did feel control in other aspects slip out of my control a bit.  Guess it goes to show that you can fix one thing while another problem pops up!  This must be what learning from your mistakes means.  I had told Rayna on our first and second meeting to bring in any homework that she would like to go over, which I should’ve clarified because she ended up bringing in science homework for us to work on.  However, this science homework was mostly looking up sites online so that she can answer questions about a constellation, so I thought that it could double as both science work and reading/writing work.  I really tried to guide her responses so that she could come to figure out how to write the sentences on her own and that is going to be something that I need to work on because my “guiding” wasn’t also the most helpful, I thought.  I’ve also come to realize that when Rayna doesn’t understand something she won’t always tell me that she doesn’t understand, so I’ve started pausing on things that I think she is confused about so that we can at least talk it over.  This was actually something that proved to be a lot more helpful than I thought it would be because there ended up being quite a bit that she didn’t understand and wasn’t tell me about.  After we worked on her class work, we were able to read a bit more of the book that she has to read for school.  The chapter of the book that we read featured lots of dinosaur names, so we had a little bit of fun speculating what kind of things dinosaurs might do based on their physical structure.  I wasn’t able to use my Kindle for learning games, but I am so determined to make that happen for next time because I really think she will enjoy it (and that I’ll enjoy it as well).

1 comment:

  1. You said, "I’ve also come to realize that when Rayna doesn’t understand something she won’t always tell me that she doesn’t understand, so I’ve started pausing on things that I think she is confused about so that we can at least talk it over."

    This is a very important realization! Remember this in your future classes to ask students, and not accept a head nod (or not asking questions) as comprehension.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.