Friday, January 18, 2013

TP #2 BCooney



Jason greeted me with an enthusiastic "Hey!" and a wave. Having a kid excited to see you feels good, especially knowing that you're there to tutor them. When we were picking a book to read, he started to choose from the same series we read last time, so I introduced Dr. Seuss instead. I also found a few Roald Dahl stories (my favorite), although he was hesitant to read those and told me they were too hard.

During the story "I Am NOT Going to Get up Today!" I clarified words for him and aided in pronouncing longer ones like "Massachusetts." I had him point out objects and animals in the pictures. He had to ask what the donkey was and didn't know trumpet. After I asked him what he did before he came to the library, he wrote it down for me. He always used go for went and misspelled school (scool) and watch (wash).  I had to tell him there was an "h" missing and immediately he knew where it belonged. I stuck to only correcting school and watch, although afterwards I thought the severity of each error seemed equal. This posed the question should I correct the spelling first or the verb tense? Words with "tch" aways seem to be a problem with English learners.

After writing a little we read this Lego comic, which he had seen the video of. This was good because he could visualize what he'd seen while he was reading the narrative. During each story I try to clarify what's happening to make sure that he's seeing the story and not just pronouncing words. I notice this when there's irregular pauses during sentences. What I noticed most this session compared to last time is that Jason felt more comfortable and also showed interest in learning certain words, asking me for meanings often. I'm in need of a lesson plan so I'll see what I can find online and bring that with me next Friday. I also had him agree to try a Roald Dahl book, with the help of my reading. We'll see how it goes

4 comments:

  1. Reading about kids being so excited to learn and being so thankful to their tutor is really heartwarming. It's only your second session and he's already beginning to get comfortable with you, by the end of the tutoring I'm sure he's not going to want to see you go!
    Also, I think giving him that extra little push to go out of his comfort zone and try something a bit harder is a really good thing. With your help, he can see it's not so bad, and it will be a real confidence booster for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even through this blog I feel like you are decently comfortable with kids. It's great that on week two he is getting comfortable with you and agreeing to read something he is unfamiliar with in front of a brand new tutor. Kids are amazing, I love how open and fearless they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have much experience working with kids but this has been a great opportunity and I'll end up having learned a lot by the time it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a good thing to integrate could be some kind of spelling and grammar game. Perhaps you could even use some of his common errors. Anything you can do to promote reinforcement through repetition. It appears he can self-correct, and this is a very good sign. Glad to see you both are enjoying the exchange!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.