Monday, January 21, 2013

TP#2-KC

Last night I met with my tutee named Antoni from Ivory Coast. He had some CIES homework that he wanted help with. His assignment was to watch an interview with Jennifer Lopez and respond to a few questions regarding the video. I also helped him edit a paper that he had to write about why he thought CIES was a good program.

His level of English speaking is pretty good, but reading his writing definitely showed where he needed a bit of grammar help. Editing his paper was fun because I tried including some of the techniques we learned in class; I tried to get him to find his own errors without me directly pointing them out and telling him what was wrong. I couldn't tell if he wasn't at the appropriate level of grammar to pick out his own mistakes yet, or if he was just relying on me to edit it, but I ended up having to tell him exactly what he needed to fix.

The JLo video was an 8-minute long interview, and after it was over and I asked what he thought of it, his response was:

She talks a lot.

Honesty at it's finest.

1 comment:

  1. It may be because their English is limited, but ESL students can be brutally honest at times, which is humorous for everybody.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.