Tuesday, March 5, 2013

TP # 3 Evan Barker

Ali told me he wanted to work on listening comprehension. I invited him over to my house to listen to some audio clips I had picked out showcasing different American accents. I selected a clip showcasing a southern accent that was about farming, a weatherman demonstrating a New England accent, and a cooking show host with a fierce Midwest accent. I asked Ali listening comprehension questions after each segment to see which one he struggled with the most. Ali had the most trouble understanding the agricultural piece. Apparently southern accents are very difficult for ESL students to understand. This made sense to me because I sometimes have trouble understanding a thick southern twang. I youtubed some other videos showcasing southern accents. It was a very fun tutoring sesh. Ali said he felt more comfortable communicating with folks with Southern accents and would practice his listening skills as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.