Saturday, March 2, 2013

TP #9 BCooney

I picked up Shajea and Barjas from CIES and we went back to their apartment for a tutoring lesson. Barjas wanted to work on his speaking, and they both had a presentation to work on. It involved them presenting information about their partner that they asked through set questions. They involved their names, interests, hometown, how they study English, and random interesting attributes.

Barjas started by telling me his partner, Tan, was crazy. We went through the information he filled out. As we were reviewing his sentences we went over gerunds and infinitives and how you drop the “ing” with the use of “to”. I also explained that he should be consistent with the tense of verbs that he uses. I find that mostly the only thing keeping both Shajea and Barjas’ sentences from being correct is the lack of articles. They often leave them out and have a hard time picking the correct prepositions as well. I consistently encouraged them to breakdown words and explained the root word and meaning of the suffix/prefix when I could. Barjas rewrote his information on paper and included an introduction to the class. We went over his teacher’s grading rubric and I told him most importantly make eye contact and use gestures when you can. He modified some of the sentences and added a transition statement as well.

 Shajea kept his on the original sheet and I helped him go over his sentences. I pointed out the repetition of the same word and he removed one, while keeping the sentence legible. I told him to use pronouns to avoid this as well. Shajea has about 45 pages of vocab words in his little notebook which I quizzed him on. We plan on going out this weekend, so I asked them how they would approach new people. Shajea said if it was a girl he would say “hello, how are you?” And then “Can I tell you one sentence?” “Your eyes mesmerize me” We all laughed and I told him that “something” should be substituted for “one sentence”. Barjas said he would ask for a friend to help him learn English, because he is new. They were on the right track with their conversation skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.